Northfield Park has been a horseracing and Cleveland institution since it opened in 1957. For the longest time, their motto was “every 19 minutes, the place goes crazy,” referencing the frenzied spectacle when the bell rings to start each of their nightly harness races. The horses and buggies bring to mind the chariot races in biblical epics of old like “Ben-Hur,” while the manic shouts and fist-pumping of the bettors resemble the floor of a stock exchange – if the stocks were named things like “Rodeo Rock,” “” or the always crowd-pleasing “Hoof Hearted.”
In 2013, this landmark entertainment destination got a new lease on life with an adjoining “racino” featuring over 200,000 square feet of gaming space, gourmet dining options, an on-site entertainment venue featuring some of the best acts touring the country in music and comedy. And there’s more — a lot more.
Now joined with one of the biggest names in gaming, MGM Northfield Park is one of the most exciting entertainment destinations around, offering all the thrills and amenities of other desert destination oasis, right here in Cleveland.
What You'll See:
- You don’t have to wait 19 minutes to go crazy anymore. The minute you step foot onto the casino floor, you’ll be greeted by hundreds of the most cutting-edge VLT games in the industry. Head out to the climate-controlled outdoor gaming patio or try your luck in the High Limit Room with jackpots up to $250,000. Like any MGM property, be sure to enroll in the M life Rewards program for even more benefits.
- A casino is only as good as its food options, and MGM Northfield Park’s are first rate. Sit down to a prime steak with a Cleveland Browns legend at Kosar’s Wood-fired Grill. Enjoy pizza and creative pasta dishes at Concerto Italian Kitchen. Grab a cold one and a burger while you watch sports on the big screen surrounded by sports memorabilia at TAP Sports Bar. Or, just grab a little bit of everything at The Buffet, which offers 60 fresh selections daily including six live-action cooking stations.
- After you win a couple jackpots, you’re probably going to want to rock out a bit. Center Stage at MGM Northfield Park is a 1,900-seat concert-style music hall that gets you up close and personal with live music from every genre and comedy shows, featuring some of the biggest acts touring the country. At 300 seats, The Neon Room also hosts a range of live music and comedy acts in a more intimate setting, while doubling as a sweet spot for private events.
What Else to Do?
- Feel like putting a little money on the ponies? Head next door to the iconic Northfield Park racetrack, where you’ll be greeted by a climate-controlled grandstand and a newly remodeled, Vegas-style racebook. The Trackside Lounge features state-of-the-art sports bar amenities including three-dozen flat-screen TVs, a 100-inch betting monitor and a private betting area.
- Their annual event, The Battle of Lake Erie, sees the best veteran pacers in the world compete for a $200,000 purse.
Where to Stay?
Maybe you hit a big jackpot and had a few too many celebrating, or maybe you rocked a little too hard reliving your glory days at Center Stage. Either way, you’re going to need someplace to crash. Located only 20 minutes north of MGM Northfield, the Beachwood area on Cleveland’s East Side is an ideal destination for great hotels, amazing food and a lot of fun. Scope these accommodations: