Every summer, the Guardians’ Progressive Field and its surrounding area turns into the seat of Downtown Cleveland. And for good reason: In the past several years, they've taken us through a historical (and heart-attack-inducing) World Series, won several Central Division championships and, in 2019, hosted its sixth MLB All-Star Game. If you’re in Cleveland during the summer — or fall, in a good year — Progressive Field is a great place to spend your day or evening.
What You'll See:
- Thousands of twenty- and thirty-somethings standing in right field. The Guardians’ recent success aside, nothing has turned Progressive Field into the place to be on summer nights more than The District section of the stadium. In 2016, the club renovated the ballpark near the right-field foul pole and turned it into a must-visit bar called The Corner. District tickets cost just 15 bucks (standing room only) and your first beer is free.
- Deep behind the center field wall, you’ll find a former picnic area that is now home to Heritage Park. The two-tiered, landscaped park is filled with plaques and statues of Guardians greats from years past.
- Visitors tell us all the time how much they love watching games in this ballpark, and the experience is only getting better as Progressive Field is slated to receive a more than $200 million facelift in the coming years.
What Else to Do?
- Eat. You’ll have plenty of opportunities. Of course, there are tons of traditional ballpark offerings, but the Guardians are fast becoming known as pioneers in the field of stadium snacking. Progressive Field is now packed with outposts from some of the city’s hottest local chefs, giving the in-game experience even more local flavor.
- Like the neighboring Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse, there are a number of ways to reach Progressive Field, including public transportation — for options, click here. And if you are driving Downtown, you can find parking options here.
Where to Stay
Whether you’re headed to RocketMortgage FieldHouse to watch the wine and gold take on the NBA’s best, or Progressive Field for some of the most fun you can have at a baseball game, you might not want to drive home after a night of fun. Luckily, these hotels are ready for you, each within a half-mile of the Gateway District.