St. Paul Shrine, built in 1876 as St. Paul Episcopal Church, was the showpiece of Millionaires’ Row, a boulevard filled with high style Victorian mansions inhabited by Cleveland’s elite. Taking advantage of its prominent location, architect Gordon W. Lloyd of Detroit designed an elaborate Gothic Revival structure of Amherst sandstone with a 120-foot tower. When the Episcopalian congregation relocated to Cleveland Heights in 1928, the Cleveland Catholic Diocese purchased the grand church to serve as the home of the Poor Clare Sisters of Perpetual Adoration. The Diocese built a three-story brick monastery to house the nuns, who have kept, and continue to keep, a prayerful vigil in the church sanctuary behind the screen that separates them from the secular congregation. In October 1931, the church was re-consecrated as the “Church of the Conversion of St. Paul.” Beginning in 1978, the Capuchin Franciscan Friars of the Pennsylvania Province administered the church. In 2009, the church was decommissioned as a parish by Bishop Lennon, but continues to operate as a Shrine for the Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament, housing the monastery and friary.