Great Lakes Science Center
is ready to begin the countdown to next year’s total eclipse of the sun with a one-year-out kickoff event on Friday, April 7, and Saturday, April 8, from 10 am to 5 pm.
The excitement surrounding the 2024 solar eclipse
is building and we're ready to kickoff the countdown. Cleveland will be right along the path of totality, which means The Land will experience several minutes of darkness when the moon completely blocks out the sun’s light. As the home of the NASA Glenn Visitor Center, and the prime downtown destination for viewing the eclipse in 2024, we're celebrating a year early.
Join the Science Center and NASA’s Glenn Research Center
in Cleveland for two days of eclipse countdown excitement and hands-on activities, including:
- Camera Obscura Activity – Explore the physics of light and vision by making your own pinhole camera, and walk inside a giant version!
- Shadow Imagery – Investigate safe ways of viewing the sun and solar eclipses using shadows.
- Liftoff: Math in Space Science Show – 3, 2, 1, blast off! Explore the stages of human flight outside Earth’s orbit and the mathematics that make it possible.
- Virtual Guest Speaker Dr. Kelly Korreck, NASA Program Manager – Dr. Korreck knows how to handle the heat! She built and operated instruments to study the sun and understand its hot, explosive outer atmosphere, or corona, and she is NASA’s program manager for the 2024 eclipse. Her virtual presentation will take place at 2 p.m. on both Friday and Saturday to discuss the eclipse and her work on the Parker Solar Probe.
- NASA demonstration on the unique proportions of size and distance between the sun, Earth and moon that make a total solar eclipse possible.
This is The Land of Going All Out, so expect a grand time when you visit Cleveland's Great Lakes Science Center. The center makes science come alive through hundreds of hands-on exhibits, a six-story Cleveland Clinic DOME Theater, daily science demonstrations, and more. We can't forget that it's home to the NASA Glenn Visitor Center for one of ten centers in the U.S., NASA Glenn Research Center.
Planning to make a solar eclipse-themed trip? Of course, you are. Stay at some of our finest accommodations nearby like Hilton Cleveland Downtown
, Cleveland Marriot Downtown at Key Center
, or Drury Plaza Hotel
. Grab some grub at great restaurants like Burnham Restaurant
, Sausalito on Ninth
, and The Greatroom Restaurant
It's mission-critical that you attend. We'll see you on April 7 and April 8 from 10 am to 5 pm
. For more information, visit greatscience.com/tickets