Most businesses have re-opened; please check with establishments for hours or more information. Please note: Facial coverings are required throughout Ohio; travel advisory in effect. Learn More
In Cleveland, we’ve got world-class experiences without the world-class ego. And for that, you’re welcome.
Here in Cleveland, we’ve got beef cheek in our pierogi, truffles on our hot dogs and beer in our donuts. Balance.
Whether you’re into the thread count of your linens or just a place to crash for the night, we’ve got a hotel room with your name all over it.
You know those places only the locals know? Let our experts help you find them with free maps, itineraries and insider tips.
History hasn't always been easy on us. But pressure can create diamonds. Come check out our gems.
Ran, walked or biked along the 100+ miles of Cleveland’s rapidly expanding trail networks? Dined out or ordered takeout from one of the countless downtown restaurants (four of which are brand new and just opened within the past month)? Explored the lesser known nooks, crannies and stories of Cleveland through a self-guided walking tour?
These, plus so many more, are just a few of the exciting activities that I have enjoyed to #RediscoverCLE. As a downtown resident, here are a dozen of my favorite socially-distanced yet incredibly fun ways I’ve been enjoying – and (re)discovering this city more than ever before – and why you should too.
Image © Ian Meadows
1. Watch the sunset from North Coast Harbor – With unobstructed views across Lake Erie as well as a stunning perspective of the downtown skyline, this is the perfect place to sit by the water and enjoy a beautiful sunset.
2. Relax in a serene urban oasis at Cleveland Public Library’s Eastman Reading Garden – Tucked away in the heart of downtown, this intimate, quiet and shady park offers plenty of seating to sit back and enjoy a good book or to turn into your outdoor “office” while working from home (thanks to the public WiFi).
3. Soak up the sun at Cleveland’s beautiful beach – A short 15-minute bike ride from downtown along the Lakefront Bikeway, Cleveland Metroparks’ Edgewater Park is complete with a sandy beach, networks of trails and an abundance of green space. No need to travel when we have this lively beach getaway in our own backyard!
Image © Nathan Migal
4. Get your Cleveland Brewery Passport filled with stamps (while enjoying the city’s best brews, of course) – Download the Destination Cleveland app and get started on (or continue with) the Cleveland Brewery Passport, now an all-digital experience. Enjoy taste-testing all of Northeast Ohio’s amazing breweries.
5. Enjoy skyline views from the Superior Viaduct – Located on the West Bank of the Flats, this historic structure used to connect across the Cuyahoga River into downtown. Today, it offers spectacular views of the skyline.
6. Stay caffeinated with some help from a local coffee shop – My downtown staples are Phoenix Coffee and Rising Star Coffee Roasters (don’t miss their seasonal Lavender Latte and always-on-the-menu Promised Land Latte).
7. Dine al fresco on one of Cleveland’s many patios – With countless restaurants offering outdoor dining, this is a great way to support local businesses, enjoy our beautiful North Coast summer weather, and eat some delicious meals. (Be sure to reference Destination Cleveland’s Clean Committed Directory for restaurants and other businesses that are committed to providing clean experiences for patrons).
8. Ride a scooter through downtown to sightsee and get to your destination – With Lime, Spin and Bird all offering scooter service downtown and throughout Cleveland, this is a fun and convenient way to travel around the city.
9. Soak up downtown’s history, architecture and fun-facts on a self-guided walking tour. Created by the Historic Gateway Neighborhood Corporation, there are new “Take a Hike” self-guided downtown walking tours each month this summer and fall. From Grand Department Stores to Historic Hotels, these interactive activities provide fascinating information on Cleveland landmarks, neighborhoods and history while guiding you throughout the city on fun adventures.
10. Hop on a bike to explore the 100+ miles of ever-growing trail networks – Between the Towpath Trail, Lakefront Bikeway, Centennial Lake Link Trail, soon-to-be-completed Red Line Greenway, and other great trail connections, Cleveland is distinguishing itself as a hub for multi-modal transportation and recreation. Don’t miss out on the 100+ miles of scenic trails that connect downtown and surrounding neighborhoods – even to the Cuyahoga Valley National Park!
11. Picnic next to the beautiful chandelier in Playhouse Square – Whether you pack your own food or (even better) support a nearby restaurant by ordering take-out, U.S. Bank Plaza in the heart of Playhouse Square is a peaceful place to enjoy your lunch break or just an anytime picnic. The setting, adjacent to the theaters, GE Chandelier and Euclid Avenue street life, makes for a great downtown hangout.
12. Indulge in the best ice cream sandwich of your life and enjoy panoramic views of the city and lake on the Malls – Cathy’s Gourmet Ice Cream Sandwiches (located in the Arcade) offers delicious ice cream sandwiches with freshly baked cookies, tasty ice cream, and decadent toppings. Walk your treat over to the nearby downtown Malls to enjoy this beautiful green space and the surrounding views overlooking both the skyline and Lake Erie.