To Market To Market
Cleveland’s Fresh Farmers Markets
by Lexi Robinson-Hotchkiss
Come to Cleveland and you'll notice one important thing - there's a TON of food coming from local farms. What gives?
Turns out Cleveland is surrounded by 2,500+ farms throughout Northeast Ohio. So, it's no surprise that our city basically defines the whole "farm-to-fork" movement. On top of that, the region boasts roughly 75 farmers markets just waiting for you to take a little taste.
One such offering in Northeast Ohio is the North Union Farmers Market, a nonprofit organization that operates producer-only farmers markets. They don't operate just one market - but rather 10 indoor and outdoor markets at various locations on several days of the week.
What makes them so special? Well, North Union Farmers Market only allows certified producers to be a part of their operation. This means each producer undergoes an onsite farm inspection and must submit a crop list, site plan, lease or ownership records, seed receipts, approximate harvest and more.
Basically, the delicious seasonal offerings sold at these markets are seriously legit. And, tasty, too.
In fact, the organization was rated as one of the top 10 markets in the U.S. from the American Farmland Trust.
So, make your way to Shaker Square, Ohio City, Chagrin Falls, Cleveland Clinic (downtown and Beachwood), University Hospitals, Playhouse Square and Crocker Park for your first taste of a North Union experience.
OTHER NEARBY MARKETS
- Countryside Farmers' Market at Howe Meadow - Find food galore at this farmers’ market presented by Countryside Conservancy. Visit this scenic marketplace in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park Saturdays 9am - noon.
- Downtown Farmers Market - Held on Fridays from 11am - 2pm inside the Fifth Street Arcade off of Euclid Avenue, the Downtown Farmers Market will move to Public Square following a massive renovation of the area.
- Frostville Farmers Market - Located at the location of the Frostville Museum at the Rocky River Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks, this market runs every Saturday from May - October from 9am - 1pm.
- Geauga's Fresh Farmers Market - The bucolic Geauga County is no stranger to fresh fixings from farmers. Head to this producers-only market on Rt. 306 in South Russell on Saturdays from 9am - noon.
- Gordon Square Market - You might describe this burgeoning neighborhood as trendy, artsy and just plain cool. So, it only makes sense that it hosts an amazing farmers market every Wednesday during the summer from 4 - 7pm.
- Kamm's Corners Farmers Market - Get to Kamm's Corners every Sunday from June through October for a farmers market that offers more than 30 vendors, but also live music and on-stage chef demonstrations.
- Lakewood Farmers Market - Every Saturday from June through October, the park area at the corner of Detroit Avenue and Cook Avenue in Lakewood becomes a hotspot for farm-fresh produce and other locally made goods.
- LEAF Community Farmers Market - Every Thursday night during the summer, the Lakewood Library plays host to this market, which features local farmers and vendors selling locally produced agricultural products, crafts and artwork.
- Middlefield Market and Auction House - The flea market and auction house are hopping on Mondays when auctioneers auction off everything from eggs and produce to goats and pigs.
- Stearns Homestead Farmers Market - More than 20 vendors descend on the pastures at Stearns Homestead in Parma for a farmers market on Saturdays June through October.
- Tremont Farmers Market - If you want fresh produce and other homemade goodies, then Tremont - one of Cleveland's favorite foodie neighborhoods - is the place to be on Tuesday evenings from April through October.