Patio Season Is Here
Merry Patio Season from Cleveland
By Lexi Hotchkiss
When the trees begin budding and the temps start rising, Clevelanders tear off their sweaters and winter coats, strap on the shorts and flip-flops, and make a mass exodus from hibernation. Why? Because we all know it’s that coveted time of the year again: Patio Season.
So, join us on one of the thousands of outdoor patios for cocktails and alfresco dining that’s sure to upgrade your visit from awesome to amazing.
Sure, the Lake Erie views from places like Pier W in Lakewood are stunning. But lakes are so last year. Imagine sipping martinis whilst eyeballing a 1,000-foot-long freighter meandering down the curvaceous Cuyahoga River.
• Alley Cat Oyster Bar: One of the newest eateries to open on the Flats East Bank, this Chef Zack Bruell joint serves up several varieties of oysters on the half shell to compliment its river view.
• Merwin’s Wharf: The Flats industrial neighborhood just got a lot more interesting with the addition of the all-American Merwin’s Wharf. The patio sits along the edge of the river and is a respite for kayakers and boaters.
• The Rusty Anchor at Music Box Supper Club: Music lovers of all kinds eventually find themselves at the Music Box Supper Club situated on the Flats West Bank. But, it's in the downstairs restaurant and patio where you’ll get incredible views with a full seafood menu.
Looking for an under-the-radar, where-the-locals-go kind of patio experience? We’ve got the down-low on some unexpected patios that are a retreat from the hustle and bustle of every day life.
• Johnny’s Bar: Upon entering this Fulton Road landmark on the near west side, you’d think you’re stepping into a classy, wise-guy kind of Italian restaurant. But trust us when we say that it’s the lush back patio – which has been pruned, tilled, watered and tended – that’ll knock your socks off.
• Porco Lounge & Tiki Room: Hawaii meets Tahiti meets Cleveland. And, it’s not just pure perfection inside this Ohio City tiki bar, but outside on the kitsch, flamingo-adorned patio tucked away in the back.
• Spice Kitchen + Bar: The folks at Spice prepare their incredible menu items from foods grown right in their backyard – literally. Sit on the quietly, concealed patio behind the restaurant to be surrounded by the very edible landscapes that supply the kitchen.
Match cocktail hour with a view fit for a king. These rooftop terraces take patio forays to baller-level status with their colossal cityscape views and elite-status offerings.
• Azure: Located on the rooftop of the new Metropolitan Hotel at The 9, Azure’s stunning patio – boasting an uber sleek and sophisticated design – offers jaw-dropping views of Downtown. (Added bonus: This is a great spot to catch the fireworks happening at Progressive Field during Indians games.)
• Red, The Steakhouse: The perfect aperitif to one of the finest dining experiences in the city? Cocktails on the rooftop of this Gateway District gem with uncanny views of Progressive Field and Quicken Loans Arena.
• Velvet Dog: If the party rock is in the house tonight, then you’d best head on over to this Warehouse District club and lounge. The rooftop patio not only offers skyline views, but features bottle service cabanas and deejay’s spinning music all night long.
CLE LOVES PATIO SEASON!
Looking for even more Cleveland outdoor dining restaurants and bars? Check out these articles featuring out-of-the-box patios, alfresco escapes, beer gardens and unique outdoor dining.