Neighborhood Spotlight: Detroit Shoreway
The neighborhood on the beach
By Nicole Canitano
Where can you start your day hunting for antique treasures along Lorain Ave., continue it with snacking on everything from Froot-Loop-topped hot dogs to old fashioned malts and end it with watching the sun set over a sparkling Lake Erie? In the rapidly evolving, near-west Detroit Shoreway neighborhood.
Adam Rosen, Economic Development and Marketing Director at Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization describes the place where he lives and works as "a neighborhood on the beach." But, there is so much more to his humble statement.
When in the Detroit Shoreway, you can choose between taking in the hustle and bustle of a thriving food and live music scene or just chilling at the new Edgewater Beach House.
Don't want to drive from place to place within the neighborhood? No problem. Detroit Shoreway is easily navigated without a car, and in fact, the best way to experience the neighborhood is by walking. Pedestrian-friendly improvements along Detroit Ave. make all there is to experience in the neighborhood accessible on foot. Bike racks dot the streets as well, for those who prefer to pedal. Even Edgewater Beach is a quick stroll via the West 76th St. pedestrian tunnel.
There is a thriving arts district located right in the heart of the neighborhood. Indie theaters like Near West Theatre and Cleveland Public Theatre, as well as the new kid on the block, Theater Ninjas, pride themselves on productions that reflect the culture and lifestyles of those living in the shadows of their bright stage lights. In The 78th Street Studios' galleries and shops, you'll discover the talents of local artists, many of whom live and work just steps from their creations.
Need some more inspiration for a day or night (or both) out in this lively neighborhood? We've got you covered.
Fodder for Foodies
* Check out Cha's Sunday Pizza Night at Battery Park
* Start your Sunday with Brunch at Latitude 41
* Don a bib and belly up to a bag-o-seafood at Broiler 65
* Indulge in a two-handed sandwich at Local West
* Enjoy live Music at Happy Dog--where "jam" happens on stage and on your hot dog
* Donuts made with Beer? Yes, please. Head into Brew Nuts for a sweet sample
* Treat yo' self with some Italian/Mediterranean dishes at Luxe Kitchen & Lounge
* Get creative with your meal (like, chorizo-pop-tarts-creative) at Graffiti Social Kitchen
* Sodas, milkshakes and cones, oh my! Check out the old fashioned treats at Sweet Moses
* Raise a glass over a shared plate at Toast Cleveland Wine Bar
* Caffeinate appropriately at Gypsy Beans & Baking Co.
* Discover the story (and the food) behind the Bebenroth family's farm-to-table journey at Spice
* Quebec gave us poutine, and for that we're thankful. Head to Banter to get your fix
* If cold-pressed juice is your thing, Daily Press Cleveland is your sippin' HQ
Hall of Gamers
* Grab dinner and then get rolling... with a game of bocce at Stone Mad
* Put your Pinball Wizard skills to the test at Superelectric Pinball Parlor
* Shuffleboard isn't just for retirement homes. Get your slow-speed adrenaline rush at Forest City Shuffleboard Arena and Bar
Shoppin' in the Shoreway
* Experience Third Fridays at 78th Street Studios--an eclectic mix of art, shopping, music and food
* Stock up on snacks, wine and spices at Astoria Cafe and Market
* Search for relics from Millionaire's Row in the Lorain Ave. Antique District
* Score a luxury leather accessory at FOUNT
Full of Spirit(s)
* Sample local brew with Lake Erie in your backyard at Terrestrial Brewing Company
* Experience soda pop on a whole new level at Old City Libations
* Give your wallet a break and get the ultimate dive bar and karaoke experience at Tina's Nite Club
* Sample one (or two) of the 100+ varieties of whiskey and bourbon at XYZ the Tavern
* Get real at ParkView NiteClub, the self-proclaimed "cool place for shady people"